Thursday, May 18, 2017

#2

Wow I am ready for school to be done... Today was a 'bang your head against the wall' kind of day.  The 5th graders were vicious to each other, purposely leaving people out and being mean about it.  Then that person retaliated and everyone was yelling at everyone. And no one could focus.  Four kids had to stay after school today to finish assignments they hadn't taken home for homework (even though they knew everything was due today). Two are still finishing up their last assignments.

This morning I had written names on the board for each assignment I was missing. The board was packed!  And now it's mostly white again.  Whew!  There were some other things I needed to do after school, like set out the BINGO prizes and dig out our time capsules, but I am so beat from corralling kids and forcing them to do their late work that I just want to go home... But someone came into my room to talk to me, so I ended up cleaning off the lab table and setting that stuff out anyway.

My large pile of papers to correct has been tucked in my bag and after this I'm going to head out.  I can actually go out the side door again! This morning I found a note from the school trustees noting that they replaced the door handle.  It's been nice to be able to use that door again.

Miss S was home sick today. She has pink eye.  It made today crazy since we don't have any subs to call.  Miss F took over after sending the preschoolers home for the day at 11:00, but until then the 1-2nd graders had a smorgasbord of supervisors.

The after school cleanup crew got the gym all cleaned up. Only one parent showed up.  I had thought about helping a little, but with all the students staying afterwards to finish homework, I didn't have time.  But I did my part on Tuesday. Glad that job is done!

Our Australia speaker was good. He spent a lot of time talking about the sports of Australia such as rugby, cricket, and Australian rules football.  Man, those sports are intense!  We watched some YouTube videos of sports highlights and he explained what was happening. I might take up watching rugby; it was crazy!  (It also helped to have someone explain how the game works!) Here are the videos we watched: Australian Rules FootballRugbyCricket.

Tomorrow's balloon activity: Book Launch (no, not 'book lunch' as so many people thought I said)

No comments:

Post a Comment