Monday, May 15, 2017

#6 and #5

Track and Field day had perfect weather.  I always work at the long jump station and even though I was the most experienced 'track and field day' person there, we had enough helpers to finish before noon! We were still the last group done, but it went much smoother than other years.  The best part is, I didn't get sunburned!!!

I don't think I got sunburned today either. The day started out sunny, got cloudier the closer we got to canoeing time, and looked pretty thunderstormy as we paddled out on Swan Lake.  But I still put sunscreen on!  This trip was so tricky to get chaperones for... lots of parents have used their time off or are working in the field.  One parent had said he'd drive, but he ended up getting sick and couldn't come.  Pastor's son was available to help (Pastor would have, but he's at a conference), but we still needed one more person besides me. Thankfully, a farmer dad was finished enough he could help us out for a few hours. He had a great time and said anytime we needed someone for something like that again, he'd be there!

God was really good to us today.  We had just enough time to paddle Swan Lake and load the boats before it started raining.  Most of us stayed dry, but a bunch of the girls were soaked because they got a little crazy with the paddles.  That canoe also had trouble with getting stuck in cattails.  We all made it out okay though!  Swan Lake is the largest wetland habitat in North America, 10,000 acres to be specific.  We heard lots of bird and even saw a beaver swimming by the landing.

The 7th and 8th graders had a very interesting class session today... the Reproductive System. I showed them the first half of "Fearfully and Wonderfully Made" a video lecture by Dr. David Menton that goes through how babies are made/develop.  It started off slow, and we just got to the interesting stuff when we had to end for the day.  Halfway through class, we paused so the 5th graders could nosily grab things to work on, and that's when the questions started.  Their assignment for this body system was to fill out a KWL chart as they watched the video.  They could write what they already know (a little awkward, but better than sharing out loud).  If they thought of questions during the video, they were to write them in the W-Want to Know column.  And then the L-What I Learned column was for interesting facts from the video.  I had them turn them in after class so I could maybe answer some of their questions.  We'll pick up where we left off on Wednesday.

Tomorrow's balloon prize: Caswell Softball Day.  My car is filling up awful fast.  I went from having only one kid to bring to now having four.  One of them is a somewhat cranky 5th grader who was not happy to find out the rest of my passengers are annoying boys...  Tomorrow will be another sunny day with a chance of thunderstorms.  I'll make sure to slather on the sunscreen yet again!

No comments:

Post a Comment