Friday, January 31, 2020

Highs and Lows

A boy in my class has been out sick for three days. Today at the end of the day as we went around our circle saying highs and lows, his brother said, "Oh! I have to get [this student's] highs and lows!" Then he took off out of the classroom. Everyone was super confused. I thought he had misspoke and was going to get the day's math assignment, but soon he was back with an envelope. There was a letter inside. It said "my low is on Wednesday my throat was clogged up and I could not breathe but my uncle helped me get through it. and my high is I'm getting better." I love that he still wanted to share even though he's been stuck at home!

High of the day: the 7-8th graders had a lab I've never tried before testing salinity. It involves a bunch of beakers and pipettes, salt water, saline water, tap water, and food coloring. Basically, we're supposed to see that different water with different salinity will stay in different levels. We had so much fun mixing and testing different things, we kind of skipped doing the worksheet and just played around. Then we got out a heat pad and an ice pack to see if we could get some convection currents going. It didn't work. Possibly because of the salinity, or because our temperature differences weren't strong enough.

Low of the day: our preschool teacher's dad passed away earlier this week somewhat suddenly. We've had volunteers taking over her class since our normal subs are either sick or out of the state. Today she called me and asked if I'd sing for the funeral tomorrow. So after school I buzzed over to Redeemer to practice "How Great Thou Art" with the organist. It was a little tricky to coordinate with Pastor and the organist during the school day, and then to find a time to get together before the service, but we figured it out.

This evening, my sister and Mrs. L and I participated in an adult spelling bee through the North Mankato Library. We were the Alphabetizerrrs and dressed up like pirates. Mrs. E lent me a hat, I found a red bandana for Mrs. L to wear. She had a parrot puppet. My sister had a piratey shirt and hoop earrings. We all wore black pants and tall boots. And as the cherry on top, we wore black "I" patches. My sister had a joke that went along with our theme: What's a pirates favorite letter? You may think it be 'arrr!' but nay, a pirate's first love be the 'sea'!

 We didn't come close to winning, but it sure was fun to guess how the words were spelled! 

No comments:

Post a Comment