Tuesday, January 7, 2020

SMART

The goal setting activity went really well today! We watched a video about how to make 'SMART' goals: specific, measurable, actionable, reasonable, and timely. Then we did a Kahoot game to review what we learned (it's kind of like a game show quiz on the computer). They had such a great time they wanted to do it a second time. We did and some of them got 100% on it! Tomorrow we're going to set personal goals and a class goal.

We also highlighted six of the seven bell songs we have left for this year. I got on a roll copying the music and figured I may as well have them practice all of them. The end of February is the next time we play for church, so there's quite a bit of time. And after how difficult our Christmas songs were, I think they'll master these new ones a lot quicker. So, all the more reason to have more songs to choose from to practice.

The only downside to highlighting all this music is that it's easier for them to complain about how much they have to play. Some only play in five of the six we highlighted, some only play three times. The 8th graders have to do five songs, but I forgot that I told one of the 8th grade boys that he wouldn't have to play so much coming up and I put him on five of the songs. No one else wants to play the lower bells, so he can't even switch with someone. I might offer him some extra credit in exchange. We'll see.

It was a bit of a crazy bell practice since there were so many songs to do. They share books, so it was a lot of back and forth, "where's my folder? what book am I in? what song do I play? wait, I have another one?" Not everyone finished highlighting their parts. I'm going to have to go through each folder and make sure all the parts are highlighted or Thursday when we want to play we'll have a big mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment