Monday, February 8, 2021

Stroke of Genius and Disappointments

There were little packages of cookies on the table in the office up for grabs, so after lunch I snagged one hoping to bite into a delicious chocolate chip cookie... nope. Oatmeal raisin. Bummer.

We had some super secret surprise virtual visitors for lunch today, two girls who are being homeschooled this year because of the pandemic. Their daycare lady messaged me over the weekend to see if they could join our class to have some social time with their old classmates. So I set up the video screens so they could see everyone and everyone could see them. They couldn't get the link to work at first, so the suspense was nail-biting! 

I didn't tell my students about it (actually I forgot all about it until one of my kids asked a question about the homeschool kids... thanks Lord for the reminder!), but they were super excited to guess who our special guests were! Their first guess was our marine pen pal. Actually, we're going to skype with him in a few weeks once he gets back from the range. My kiddos never ended up guessing who our visitors were. 

My stroke of genius today happened in science class. We're on the last chapter of our chemistry book, and the lab is one I always skip because it grosses kids out too much. That's right. It's too gross for 5-6th graders. It involves spitting into a cup and holding bread in your mouth for a minute, which apparently makes kids gag. I only tried the lab twice before giving up. The last chapter is on biological polymers (proteins), and while we learned the information today, my kids focused in on DNA. Hey, that's a polymer too. Hey, I have a lab that involves DNA extraction. Hey, these kids like looking at cool stuff and they listen really well, they could probably handle this lab. Hey, it's super cold outside so we'd be able to get the ethyl alcohol super chilled and have better results. Hey class, let's do a lab this week after all! 

One girl has old strawberries at home she's going to donate to the cause, otherwise I have everything else we need!

No comments:

Post a Comment