Friday, February 26, 2021

Mining Towns

My kiddos presented their MN Economy presentations. Three did theirs on the mining industry and one did the forestry industry. Two will present on Monday. 

Of the two who presented today, two made brochures. The other two made Minecraft worlds. Man, did those turn out amazing! One 6th grader had an open pit mine and a deep mine. He had railroad tracks in the mine, beams to hold up the ceiling, a building for the supervisors, a stable for the animals that hauled the carts, blacksmith shop and tools, mining carts... I could keep going. The other 6th grader went beyond even that! He had a mining town with a church, a barge to haul the iron/coal away, a lighthouse complete with lighthouse keeper and supplies, a boarding house, a cook house... very impressive. His world was so big, it couldn't load all at once. He's been working on this since the day I introduced the project, which I believe was back in January. You can definitely tell he's been working hard!

My kids have also been working hard to earn pages towards our I Love to Read Month goal of 30,000 pages/minutes read. So far we're up to 17,000. The challenge ends on Monday. A lot of them say they have more pages they haven't turned in, or they're waiting to turn them in until Monday when they have a whole bunch. Quite a few of my class brought books home this weekend with the intention of reading a lot. I hope we can make our goal!!! I have a bunch of books packed in my car that I plan to read while I'm in Fulda this weekend. Hopefully we can pull off a win!

No comments:

Post a Comment