Monday, April 24, 2023

Candling Eggs

Day 8 in the incubator for our chickens, ducks, and geese! I had stopped by over the weekend to rotate them and try candling them, but the flashlight I used wasn't powerful enough. I could see the air sac, but not the embryo. One of my students had the idea to use a phone flashlight. 

Sure enough, that worked! 

We could see the air sac and a dark spot where the baby develops. All three kinds of eggs look like there's life in them! Some look more robust than others, but we're keeping everything in there just in case there are late bloomers. I'm so glad they're still alive even with all the temperature fluctuations we've had. 

Today's new to-do added to the routine: take the duck/goose eggs out of the incubator for 10min, then mist with water to mimic a mama coming back from a swim!

No comments:

Post a Comment