Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Mutiny

Not gonna sugarcoat it. Today was kind of an awful day. Last night, I stayed up too late tidying and cleaning the house (and reading... 😬), so I woke up in a bit of a funk, which didn't help. Still, I thought it was going to be an okay day; one of my kiddos was home sick, which always changes the class dynamic, usually for the better.

The morning went all right. They were more focused during Junior Achievement than they were Monday. Although, before our speaker came I had a lot of complaints about it being boring and why do we have to do it. Ugh. They were pretty quiet during rounds. 

Recess was a tension-fest. The 7-8th graders were all hyped up about their afternoon visit to New Ulm high school, so they were really rough during the basketball game at recess. That made my kids play rough too, and I gave some students consequences, which made them mad, and we didn't have math class to give them time to get over it, so they were kind of mad at me the rest of the afternoon.

Since the 7-8th graders were gone, we had extra time in my classroom. The 5th graders had music while the 6th graders had studyhall. Then we did social studies (which they complained about), then recess (they had a good time outside with the K-4th graders). Then we did a science lab. Utter mutiny. 

This is boring. Why do we have to do this? I don't want to work with these people. I'm not doing this. This is dumb. This is stupid. Ugh, I hate this. 

And Mr. E was gone so I couldn't even have him come in to shape them up. 

I tried to keep them on task and at least moving forward, but it was a battle. The 6th grade boys were putzing around with their marbles (we're testing how motion is passed from marble to marble, how size and material factors in, etc.) and when I redirected them... "Wow, we were just trying to have a little fun with this. I thought we're supposed to be able to have fun in school but I guess not."

One of the other teachers suggested next time this happens tell them, "I worked hard to plan this activity for you and when you act like that, I don't want to do this either. Put your head on your desk." I'm not sure if that would work, but it might be worth a try. 

Sigh. The weather is kind of gross too... cold and windy and wet. 

Only 22 more days to go. 😐

No comments:

Post a Comment