Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Gunpowder Tuesday

We sure packed a lot into our day today. 

Only a few chapters are left in our read aloud book, and it's getting really good.  The 5th graders don't want me to stop reading!  They actually asked for extra copies of the book so they could read ahead.  We might be able to finish it tomorrow. 

In 2nd grade math, we started 2-digit subtraction.  They have a hard enough time with subtraction as it is, and now to add in two digits?  I think the first day went all right.  They were a little surprised they didn't get to work out of the packets today, but I wanted to teach them the concept first.  I think we'll do the same thing tomorrow too, just to make sure they get the whole idea down.

The 5th graders were working hard all the while I worked with the 2nd graders.  But afterwards there was some tension on who got to use which beanbag and who got to sit in the reading corner.  One girl wanted it all to herself, but two boys chose to read to someone in the same corner.  She complained that she couldn't concentrate and wanted them to move somewhere else because they were too loud.  I asked the boys to lower their voices, but she said she still couldn't concentrate.  I told her she could either deal with it or pick a new spot.  But she didn't want to pick a new spot.  "It's not fair!  I was here first!  I shouldn't have to move!"  Well, life's not fair, and the boys are being quiet, so if it's not working for you, then you need to make a good choice on where to sit.  After a lot more fussing, she ended up picking a new spot.  This same kid had trouble in math and that carried over into social studies, but somehow she got off the wrong track and ended up finishing the day really well.

We got everyone packed up and good to go in 5 minutes!  So we got to watch the "What does the farmer say?" video.  They thought it was hilarious, especially the part about the farmer tan and pasty white legs.  They also couldn't get enough of the John Deere... sigh.  I don't have any hope of converting them to the red side.

I told them that if we get packed up in 4 minutes tomorrow, we'll watch the "What does the fox say?" video.  We'll see if they can be that fast.

Oh!  The gunpowder thing!  In 7th/8th grade history, we learned about the Chinese making gunpowder.  One of the 8th grade boys asked if we could make some gunpowder at school.  Ha!  I told him no.  He kept trying to convince me, "But what if I brought in..."  Nope.  Sorry, no gunpowder making at school.

All day, everyone was abuzz about the storm that's moving in.  The 7th/8th graders are convinced we are not going to have school tomorrow.  I'm slightly more skeptical.  Two-hours late?  Maybe, but I'm not holding out hope. 

My grades all got sent out and now I just need to get ready for parent teacher conferences Thursday.  I keep forgetting that today is a Tuesday.  Only three more days left this week!  Wow!

No comments:

Post a Comment