Thursday, November 14, 2013

Holes

When we finished reading the book Holes, my 5th graders asked if we could watch the movie.  I told them I'd check it out from the library.  Well, one of the girls decided we had to watch it before the one 5th grader moved (henceforth known as A.), so she took it upon herself to rent it from Family Video. 

It was actually a good thing she rented it.  I had placed a hold on the library copy of the movie, but it wasn't in when I stopped last night.  And this morning I checked my library card account and saw that it just arrived today.  Shucks.  A day too late.  I was going to roll with it, thinking we'd do enough fun exciting stuff at the end of the day to send A. off with a bang.

Imagine my surprise when this 5th grader came bursting in the classroom this morning, "Miss H!  Look what I got! [shows me the movie]  My brother had to get the movie War Horse for school and so I asked if they had this one and they said that it was in the family section and so I found it and got it and can we watch it today since it's A.'s last day?"  Of course, I tried to be nonchalant about it, "We might be able to arrange that."  Then she said, "We should keep it a secret from A. and surprise him.  Quick, quick, hide it!"  She flipped it upside down on my desk so A. wouldn't see it as he walked into the room.

And yes, we did watch it.  It was chunked in bits and pieces since we had to take a break for 2nd grade math (that gave the 5th graders time to finish their spelling).  Then we had to break again for lunch right at the exciting part!  I had them fill out a Venn diagram during the movie, identifying the similarities and differences between the book and the movie.  It was surprising how much they enjoyed looking for that stuff (a pleasant surprise).  They remembered the plot of the book really well and got scared at all the right parts.  It was really fun watching it with them!  The movie froze in a few places, which upset everyone, but they weren't major freezes so we didn't have to stop the movie.  I think this is one I'll have to add to my collection so we have it on hand when needed.

The party for A. was also a success.  We played floor hockey with the 3rd and 4th graders.  His mom and dad brought ice cream cake, which we ate while playing games.  We ended the day with the last fifteen minutes of the movie.  Gave him a group hug.  Took a class picture.  Everyone else took off and then we unpacked his desk. 

I gave his parents his Christmas present early, telling them they could let him open it early or they could save it.  I think they're going to try to save it for Christmas. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment