Friday, November 15, 2013

More Reading Buddies

It was very strange with one less student today.  My students kept commenting that the room seemed so empty, like tons of people were gone today even though it was only one.  I haven't gotten rid of his desk yet.  I don't know if I will or not because the 7th and 8th graders need the desk.

Speaking of 7th and 8th graders.  We had a lab today, something I was a little leery about since our previous labs were very crazy and chaotic.  I wrote expectations on the board (good choices and bad choices) and told them to read through their packet.  We even had to wear goggles and aprons. 

Yesterday I told them they could bring different liquids from home to use in our penny cleaning experiment today.  Only a few took me up on it, but then they started looking for liquids at school.  One girl got ketchup from the kitchen (with permission of course), a few groups used hand sanitizer, one girl brought bleach and alumina (something she said is used to take rust off pennies).  I had all the groups use water for one of their trials.  Their behavior was great!  They were all sad to have to clean up, but I think we had just enough time.  Mrs. M took them over to church to practice bells for Sunday's service, and Mr. E kept the 5th graders for the full hour so I had a little time to clean up from the lab.  That was very nice.

That pretty much took care of our afternoon.  We worked on our NaNo stories a bit and then the kindergartners came for a visit with their Bookmobile books.  There's enough of them that each 5th grader gets two kindergartners.  One of the girls had an appointment at the public school, so I read with two of our visitors.  It was super fun!  I can't wait for them to come next week. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment