Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Another Early Out

Well, in preparation for this "surprise" blizzard, we got out of school at 1:45.  And I say surprise because I just found out about it yesterday when the radio DJs wouldn't stop talking about it.  Normally I somehow hear about weather a little more in advance. 


We managed to keep the early out a secret until about 1:00 or so, at least in the upper grades.  I got the call before lunch during English.  After I got off the phone, one of the 5th graders asked, "So, what did she want?" thinking it was her mom.  I just kind of looked at her.  Then she asked, "Well who was it?"  Yes!  Perfect opening for... "Nunya."  She looked confused, "Nunya? Who is Nunya?"  "Nunya business!"  Hahahaha!  Ms. J got it right away.  Then one by one the 5th graders caught on.  I only had to explain it to one 5th grader.  Oh, I'm so glad I got to use that line!  I really want to use it on the 7th and 8th graders now...


Since we got out early, we didn't have enough time to go over science fair stuff.  We did Mystery Class instead.  The 5th graders have been asking when they can do it again, so I think they like it.  We were a little behind so I'm glad we had the chance to catch up a bit. 


Well, I suppose I should head out, especially if the wind is supposed to pick up around 3:00.  I want to get home before it gets bad.  All the 7th and 8th graders are planning on no school tomorrow.  I'm pretty sure 2-hours late is the worst we're going to get; the snow is supposed to stop at 3 in the morning.


Oh!  I made hardtack yesterday when I got home.  I think I rolled it a little too thin.  And it maybe cooked a bit too long.  I tested a piece to see if it was any good.  Surprisingly, it was not too bad!  Very filling and very hard.  I had to use my back teeth to bite into it.  I'm guessing my kids are going to try one bite and will want to throw the rest away.

No comments:

Post a Comment