Thursday, February 13, 2014

Smiley Day

Oh this day was full of smiles!


As I walked through the school to get to my classroom, I noticed something different.  It took me a while to put my finger on it... and then I realized the storage room was clean!  Normally it's an obstacle course to get from the gym to my classroom, but this morning, space on every side.  I'm getting a warm fuzzy feeling even now just thinking about it!


Math went a little better with the 2nd graders today.  One girl finished the rest of her packet.  The others have quite a few pages to go.  As their reward for getting 20 math pages 100% correct the first time, I gave them each 2 oreos leftover from the 5th graders' science.  I handed two cookies to one of the boys and he was so excited/distracted/in a hurry, he didn't grasp them all the way and they flopped perfectly into the garbage can.


In English, our lesson was on past participle and present participle.  I was telling them they couldn't abbreviate those words because the initials would both be PP when the giggles started.  The girls had no clue what was going on.  The boys giggling got louder and louder and finally one of the girls got it.  She explained to her classmate (neither of them could see why it was that funny).  The boys continued giggling the rest of English class.  I wasn't laughing, but the way those boys were giggling made it really hard to keep a straight face.


We had two chapters (and an epilogue) left in our read aloud book, Ella Enchanted, and I planned to finish the book on Friday.  Well, the second to last chapter ends in a cliff-hanger, so when I paused, all the 5th graders looked up from their work with panicked faces, "WHAT?! YOU CAN'T END THERE! Will you please, please, please read more???"  Oh who can resist such a plea?  Certainly not I; they've found my weakness.  And then they tacked on, "This could be one of our Daily 5 rounds... Read to Someone.  This can count for Read to Someone."  So we did.  We finished the book.  And it was lovely.  Now I need to find a new book by tomorrow.  Such a hard choice!  My problem is that I have too many books I want to read aloud!  (not to mention my students have books they want me to read)  How to pick?

No comments:

Post a Comment