Monday, February 24, 2014

Would you like your brain fried or scrambled?

Today was definitely a fried brain sort of day.  My head pretty much feels numb. 


With no school on Friday due to the blizzard, we had a lot of catching up to do today.  We started the day by driving over to church to learn about the symbolism/meaning behind certain things at church.  We looked at the stained glass windows, the organ, the Christ candle, the Everlasting Flame, etc.  The 5th graders were really into it.  Of course, it went longer than planned so we got back to school with not a whole lot of time before 2nd grade math.  There was enough time to do read-aloud and that was it.  One of the girls didn't do her handwriting memory work that actually went home with her over the weekend.  She was kind of like, "eh, I'll just get a bad grade on it."  Uh, no.  No you won't.  Well, you might, but you still have to finish the assignment.  Ugh!  It was like pulling teeth!  All morning!  And she still didn't get it done, so she had to stay in from recess.  Well, she only wrote like five words, so she still wasn't done!  Then we ran out of time the rest of the day, so she had to take it home to work on it.  Sigh.  I don't know what I can do to get her to write faster.  I know she's capable of it!  She just won't do it (probably a control thing). 


The 7th and 8th graders finished up their paper tower projects from last week.  Well, one group finished.  The rest of the groups tried and came up with new ideas, but they either ran out of tape, or they were dinking around and ran out of time.  So with about 10 minutes of class to go, we switched to Mystery Class.  It was amazing.  There were actually a few seconds of complete silence in the room.  And then one girl couldn't find her Mystery Class packet.  And I didn't have an answer for her.  I think she brought it home to work on it and didn't bring it back.  I sure hope she can find it, because I'm not going to print a new packet for her.


The 5th graders' science test went pretty well.  From looking over their shoulders, I think they knew most of the answers.  Now it's time to learn about the scientific method.  They freaked out when I had them look at the requirements for their science fair projects.  None of them understood we were going to break it down into parts; they all thought the whole thing was due tomorrow.  Sigh.  Eventually I got them straightened out (I think).


At least I don't have to be stressing about serving the Lenten supper.  Mr. E double-checked the dates and told me my class will serve on March 12th.  So we have a little more extra time beforehand.  I emailed the parents today and asked one to be in charge.  She said she would and then asked a ton of questions about recipes and buying ingredients, etc.  We're in good hands.  Now I don't know if I should completely hand over the reigns to her or if I should still try to spearhead the effort.  Hmm.


Now that that complication is gone (for now), a new one popped up: our school field trip to the Science Museum in the Cities.  We're trying to figure out how to pay for it and when we need to get a bus and if the 7th and 8th graders will be too bored going through the regular museum and if we should have them do the omnitheater... which is actually closed right now because of a leaky roof but it will probably be fixed by the end of March which is when we're going... whew.  So.  That's my life right about now.  And we don't have a day off school until the last day in March. 


But let's take one thing at a time.  Start with the things that need to be done for tomorrow.  And so I'm off to make my lessons. 

No comments:

Post a Comment