Saturday, February 1, 2014

Pep Fest and Sharing the News

Last day of National Lutheran Schools' Week.  The kids were crazy!  Everyone was excited to go to Cutty's and go swimming and stay up late and party with their friends (and play basketball too).  The 5th graders stayed pretty focused during the day.  The 7th and 8th graders, on the other hand... we didn't get much done.  I should've known better than to plan a whole bunch of things to accomplish Friday afternoon.  Of course these things all required a maximum amount of brainpower.  It was pretty much a disaster.  Oh well.  We'll just try again on Monday.

Throughout the day the little kindergartners kept popping in to drop off these pieces of paper from their religion books.  On the front was a bible verse and on the back they had written "Jesus Loves You."  They could give them to anyone in school that they wanted.  Over half the class gave them to me (Ms. J got one too).  Mrs. E came in at one point and said, "Sorry we keep disrupting your class.  They could give their bookmarks to anyone and they all want to give them to you!  They said because you have the most books." 

We celebrated Joe's seventh birthday in class.  We don't know when his actual birthday is, so the cheerleaders and I picked the last day of NLSW to be his birthday.  Hopefully I don't forget next year!  I forgot to bring treats, so I told everyone the lifesavers on top of his terrarium were Joe's birthday treats.  A lot of treats were handed out!  5th grade, 1st grade, 2nd grade... the 7th and 8th graders were supposed to get one, but class was so chaotic we didn't get the chance.  I'll probably let them get one on Monday.

Speaking of chaotic... the Pep Fest was wild!  Mr. E told the 7th and 8th graders that if they weren't showing much pep, we wouldn't have a pep fest again.  Of course this made them go over the top. 

At noon recess, the cheerleaders met in my room to practice one more time before the pep fest.  Mrs. E wanted to do the "Go Big Blue" cheer where we throw sticks of gum into the crowd.  We had leftover gum so I thought, why not?  There weren't enough packs for every cheerleader to get one, so we opened the packs and divided them up so each girl had the same amount of pieces.  I counted it out: 9 per person.  The pep fest commenced and each class did their cheers (the newspaper even came out!).  The 3rd and 4th graders did a pyramid with their cheer which pretty much stole the thunder of our big cheerleading surprise. 

Then it was time for the gum cheer.  The cheerleaders were so distracted by the crowd, they didn't see me calling them to huddle up.  Finally we all congregated together and I explained about the gum.  Mrs. E had little dishes I put the gum in.  Two or three girls were supposed to share a dish.  Nope.  It was a free-for-all.  Little hands dug into the dishes, grabbing as much gum as would fit.  Then they threw the gum at the crowd without doing the cheer.  And the crowd went crazy when they saw the cheerleaders had gum!  They left the bleachers and mobbed the little girls.  We finally got everybody settled down in the bleachers (thanks Mr. E) and the cheerleaders were ready to do the cheer... except they forgot the words.  So I started them off and then they forgot when they were supposed to throw the gum!  So I mimicked throwing gum.  After the first few pieces hit the bleachers, they pretty much gave up saying the cheer and just threw gum.  And everyone was loud and crazy.  Mrs. E and I looked at each other and shrugged.  What can you do?

We ended the pep fest with a prayer and by that point it was time for parents to pick up their kids going to Cutty's (they were dismissed at 2:15).  The game was at 5.  I had to stay and hover over the one student who wasn't in basketball for her brother to come pick her up.  Then I didn't leave school until 4:15.  I forgot how long it took to get to Lakefield.  There was a set of train tracks I had to cross and guess what?  I had to wait for a train.  It was so frustrating! 

I ended up getting there for the last 10 minutes of the game.  I was a little worried I'd have to pay the $3 admission just for 10 minutes, but when I asked, the ladies running the admissions were super nice.  They said if I'd donate $1 for diabetes they'd call it even.  I'd say that's a pretty good exchange.  Courtland lost (although they did better once I was there).  I did get to see my two 5th grade boys play and my brother too.  All in all, not the worst thing that could happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment