Monday, October 20, 2014

Fight! Fight!

Ugh, today was a doozy.  There must be a storm coming or something... Joe buried himself and my three tricky kids were very, let's just say sensitive today.  Every little thing was bugging them.  Someone was zipping his jacket zipper too loudly.  Then he was fiddling with the zipper pull.  Then he was scratching his desk on purpose and making faces.  All morning.  I'd put out one fire and then another would pop back up. 


The 8th graders were gone to MVL for an all-day visit, so no math today!  Everyone was glad for a break from it.  We did art and bells to fill the time.  Our latest project is to "draw" with glue on black paper.  Then we'll use oil pastels to fill in the foreground with cool colors and the background with warm colors.  My class is pretty excited. 


I originally planned to pick a totally new song for the 5-6th graders to play during bells today, but then I thought, "The 6-8th graders already have their music marked and noted... so why spend time doing that if there's already a song marked!"  It went okay.  I'd like to spend more time with the 5th graders reviewing how to read music; they got lost pretty easy.  Some of them play bells at their church (Redeemer) and those students picked up on it pretty quick.  The 6th graders (already familiar with this song) switched it up and played other people's parts.  We sounded horrible at first, but after four times through we were making less mistakes and I could actually hear the melody! 


Afternoon recess.  We went out a little earlier than usual (no PE today since the 8th graders were gone) to have recess with the K-4th graders for a change.  The kids raced outside way ahead of me... and before I even made it to the playground, the football boys had started their game.  A few seconds later, one of the 5th graders sprinted over to me yelling, "Miss H!  [student] is beating up [student]!  We can't get them off each other!"  I ran across the kickball diamond, nearly losing a shoe in the process, and by the time I made it to the football field their classmates had gotten them apart.  What a day for Mr. E to be gone.  I sent one to cool off in the office and the other to wait in Mr. E's room.  He didn't answer his cell phone, but I left a message.  Eventually, I got the kid from Mr. E's room and had him wait in our classroom while I worked (the other teachers said they'd watch my class outside).  The other kid was fine in the office. 


It turns out one kid said, "I'm going to beat up [student]."  And then he kicked the kid!  And scratched him and choked him.  The other kid threw him to the ground trying to get him off and that's why the first kid was crying when I found them. 


It makes me really nervous for Camp Omega...  I even gave the behavior spiel this morning.  "If there are any behavior problems at Camp Omega, I'm calling your parents and they will have to come pick you up, no matter what time it is.  And they will not be happy.  So let's all be on our best behavior."  For the first time, I'm actually worried I'm going to have to send someone home early.  But let's not borrow trouble.  Camp Omega is still three days away, time enough for us to turn it around.

No comments:

Post a Comment