Monday, October 27, 2014

It's a Monday

This morning I walked through the gym in the dark to turn on the lights and I saw a ball on the ground.  Thinking it was a foam ball, I kicked it out of the way.  It was a softball, which truly isn't very soft.


Three of my kids spent the day talking as loud as possible, even when asked to "use inside voices".   Two had headaches, which the loud talking only made worse. 


One kid went home sick.  In the morning he kept rubbing his chest and said it was hard to breathe.  His classmate commented she could hear rattling in his chest.  He toughed it out until English... One minute he was sitting up normally, the next he was doubled over.  A little freaked out, I asked him if he was okay.  No response.  I touched his shoulder.  Still nothing.  Internally panicking, thinking maybe he was passed out, I asked once more.  This time, he rolled his head up and nodded yes, followed by actual words.  Yikes!  We called his mom from the classroom (I didn't trust that he'd make it to the office) and she sent someone to pick him up.  I hope he's okay!


The same girl with the bad headache fell off the monkey bars at recess and hit her head.  They were playing Green Boogers again and she slipped. 


At the end of the day, one of the 6th grade girls had an ice pack (for some reason... maybe she snitched it from one of the injured) and when my back was turned, she chucked it at the littlest kid in class!  It hit him where it counts and he was down for about five minutes.  Why? Just why?  She couldn't explain why she threw it.  I had no words for her.  I still don't.  What do you say to someone who randomly threw something at another person just because she felt like it?  Nothing.  No matter what you say, she's not going to care. 


This same person always dinks around on the way to math and PE.  She's always five minutes late to everything.  It's driving Mr. E up the wall!  And when he talks to her about it, she rolls her eyes at him like what he's saying doesn't apply to her.  We came up with a plan.  From now on, we're going to walk her down to the other person's classroom, holding her hand the whole time.  If she can't get to class on time on her own, she'll be treated like a kindergartner until she can.


Sigh. 


Good things about today: we started building characters for our NaNoWriMo stories.  Our class's main character is Ivan Stormcloud, a pekka (from Clash of Clans) who enjoys breaking things, picking flowers, and inventing things.  If he's had a tough day, chasing butterflies and eating oreos will make him happy.  My kids have come up with some really cool characters (many from Clash of Clans... they're a bit obsessed).  I'm excited to see what they'll do with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment