Monday, February 9, 2015

Cucumber Breath

The month of February our class is doing a fruit/vegetable challenge with the 8th graders.  We record how many fruits/veggies each 5th, 6th, and 8th grader eats per lunch and we'll make an average at the end of the month.  Whichever grade eats the most wins 30 minutes of extra recess and real fruit smoothies (provided by the school nurse). 


She told our classes about the contest in January, and some of the kids thought it started the next day.  One 8th grader (who doesn't eat produce) loaded up his tray with as many fruits and vegetables as he could get... imagine his surprise when he found out none of those servings counted...


My class has been doing okay with the challenge.  Our cook always has to reload the container of cucumbers after my class goes through the line.  It's by far the most popular vegetable.  One of the 6th graders has been having trouble with her eyes being bigger than her stomach.  She'll load her tray full of salads and cucumbers and carrots and double servings of fruits, and then she'll dump without having taken a bite or two from each serving.  I don't let her count all those in the contest, but it's ridiculous how much she's wasting!


It's going to be a late night at school.  Six o'clock and I still have to add pictures to the 8th graders' geography lesson for tomorrow.  A parent called, then the scholastic book fair coordinator called, then Mrs. B (1st and 2nd) and I met to iron out NLSW details.  Mr. D left right after school; he forgot we had a meeting.  Our entertainer for NLSW finally called me back this afternoon... right in the middle of a science lesson.  So we determined he'd call back after school.  Well, I waited and waited and waited and finally thought to check my cell phone... Yep.  He'd called and left a message there.  But I finally got a hold of him and we're good to go for that day. 


And now I'm all caught up on my correspondence.  I have my devotion picked out for our faculty meeting tomorrow.  My bag is packed and my papers to be corrected are in my bag (along with new books from the book order I'm going to preview... if I ever have time to read again...).  All I have left is to finish the powerpoint.  Hopefully it won't take as long as I think it's going to take...

No comments:

Post a Comment