Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Jack of All Trades

That seems like my job title today.  Some screws fell out of the seat on one of the 5th graders' desks, enough that the seat actually came off.  So after school I dug through my desk to find new screws (the old ones had stripped out the holes) and I worked my screwdriver magic... it's connected now!  But my supply of screws is way down.  Hopefully we'll make it the rest of the year without having to fix more seats!


Last night, I stopped by school to make sure my classroom was in order for the morning.  Everything was back in its proper place!  One of the 6th graders must've hung around and helped put everything back where it goes... even the stuff that had been on my desk!  Even all the sheets and towels we used to cover everything were folded neatly and stacked on my desk.  There were only a few things she didn't put back, so I was in and out lickety-split.  This morning there were a few things I couldn't find (an eraser, the spray bottle) and she knew exactly where they were.  I don't know what I'd do without her!


This weekend, Grandma gave me some picture books about manners to add to our class library.  I set them on one of the bookshelves.  One of the 6th graders noticed them and put them on the loudest troublemaker's desk... she got to school and was confused, "Who put these on my desk?"  Innocent looks all around.  "I don't need to learn how to be kind to others!" was her reply.  I wanted to say, "Maybe they're trying to give you a hint."  I did see a couple other kids reading them this morning.  Thanks for the books, Grandma!


Our experiment for today involved taking the ink out of pens.  I thought there were a ton left in the office (unopened packages in different colors), but the only packages I could find were red.  Thankfully, the miscellaneous pen container was hanging out in the office, so I poked through and picked out enough red/blue/black pens for my four science groups.  We're doing chromatography.  They mix ink with rubbing alcohol and stick in part of a coffee filter.  The ink colors travel at different speeds and separate so you can tell which colors make up which inks.  There's also supposed to be a mystery ink strip for the students to guess which inks went into the mixture.  I need to make it up tonight before I go home.  Should I do purple?  A mix of blue and red inks?  Yellow?  Hmm...




Two students were sick today with what appears to be the flu.  1st and 2nd Mrs. B was not feeling well today, but she came to school anyway.  I hope I don't get sick!  Chicken noodle soup for supper tonight, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment