Monday, March 16, 2015

Dilly-Dallying

I don't know if it's the Monday jitters or what, but my kids were really hard to settle today.  They were whispering and chitter-chattering all morning and had a hard time focusing... even the kids who are normally quick to listen were having a hard time.


We had Mexican haystacks for lunch today.  They taste all right, but they take forever to serve, so the 8th graders always complain about how they're getting gypped on recess.  I even gave them extra recess today and they still complained!  Granted, it was only about five minutes, but Mr. E needs all the time he can get with math.  The haystacks are made with tortilla chips, browned hamburger, and nacho cheese spread on top.  In other words, very messy.  One of the fifth graders asked if he could dump and go out to recess.  He had a ton of cheese smeared all over his face.  I said "yes, but you got a little something on your face."  He tried to lick it off with his tongue, failed, then wiped his face on the sleeve of his white shirt.  *Cringe*  Not exactly what I had in mind for cleaning purposes.


In other news, our side door now works again!  To get it open, you had to shove your whole body against it... now it swings open easily!  The school trustee's kid is in my class, so they came over this weekend to fix it.  All it took was a few swings of a hammer to move the siding/door frame back to where it was supposed to be.


But more things are needing fixing!  After school, I spent about an hour calling a bunch of people so that I can finally be able to send/receive texts.  Welcome to the 21st century, Emily, even if you don't necessarily want to be there.  I'm sure I'll appreciate texting now that I have it, but it takes so long to type out a message on my flip phone!  Once that was all straightened out, I made a call about my car.  The vents aren't working; they only blow out hot air, even on AC.  I'm waiting on a guy to call me back to talk about what might be wrong with it.  But it's after five, so I'm guessing he's not going to call back today.  Sigh.  He'll probably call back tomorrow while I'm teaching and I won't be able to get back to him until after school...


However, to end on a somewhat exciting note, I'm going to try my hand at making sauerkraut!  Cabbage was on sale at the grocery store this week, so I stocked up.  Grandma is letting me use her crock, recipe, canning salt, and cabbage chopper thing, so I should be set!  It's on the agenda for tomorrow night.  Tonight I need to finish reading a book one of my students lent me (he said I could read it while he finished reading the Conspiracy 365 series... he's on the second to last book and I'm guessing he'll want his book back soon).

No comments:

Post a Comment