Thursday, March 26, 2015

Special Ed...

Today was actually a pretty quiet day.  Two things excited my class today (one a positive, and one they were more negative about), but first an update on the Lenten supper!

We served about 69 people and made $341 for our class field trips!  Woohoo!  All my students showed up, they were super polite serving, and I only heard good things from the people who attended.  And the parents did most of the clean-up too.  I kept notes so if we do this same menu next year, we'll be a bit more prepared.  I forgot to add paper products to the list of supplies needed... plates, cups, napkins, bowls... we had to borrow from Mr. E until one of the parents could get to the store and get some more.  I'm glad he did since we ended up using all the stuff we bought.

Back to today's "drama".  The 5th graders had puberty ed.  The school nurse brought her VHS player and made popcorn and the boys and girls took turns watching "the movie" (separate one for boys and girls).  It wasn't as bad as they made it all seem; they just like being dramatic about it.  Tomorrow is the 6th graders' turn.

The other drama of the day was literally drama.  We brainstormed ideas for the spring Variety Night.  I have two groups doing skits, one that picked a skit from the internet and another that's writing their own skit so they can throw a pie in their classmate's face (his idea).  Now they want to have a cash prize for the winner because they're sure their play will be the best.  I have one kid playing piano and two that aren't in a group and don't know what to do with themselves.  I asked if they wanted to do something together and they kind of shrugged noncommittally.  Once we decided to do skits, everyone was buzzing with excitement and wanted to get started right away.  I think our next English lessons will be about writing scripts and reading with feeling!  Hopefully this energy keeps up!

I had to leave school early today, as in 3:00 early.  Two bank stops were on my list: one to drop off the proceeds from yesterday's fundraiser, and the other to get a prepaid card for my Cancun trip (we leave in less than a week!).  I got all that accomplished in record time and made it to the car dealership with time to spare.  My vehicle has been blowing hot air no matter what temperature the vent is set at (even on AC!).  I sat their correcting papers for an hour and they still hadn't figured out what was wrong with it.  They're going to try again tomorrow, so for now I'm driving a red van.  Much different than I'm used to!

No comments:

Post a Comment