Monday, March 30, 2015

Spy Camp

Our new read-aloud book, Spy Camp by Stuart Gibbs, was a big hit today.  My students reminded me that since today is "technically" Thursday, we should read an extra chapter.  I'll give you one guess if that logic worked... :)


The religion lesson for the day was Peter, John, and the Lame Man.  There was a skit written in our book for the lesson, so we talked about parts of a script and then split into groups to act it out.  Very timely what with the groups preparing for their Variety Night skits.  The group that's writing their script added a part where the grandpa walks in and faints at the sight of all the pie on everyone.  I'm hoping I can convince them to add the only kid in my class who doesn't have a group as maybe a party guest/bystander without any lines.


April's bell songs are actually sounding pretty good.  We have to play the Sunday after Easter... yet another crunch for time, so I still haven't given the 6th graders their Fruit/Veggie Challenge extra recess yet.  And we still haven't done the class reward movie.  They've just been too crazy! And chatty!  This morning was pretty quiet, but once we started Daily 5 all that talking leapt out of their mouths. 


The book orders came in!!! Woohoo!  I had one very excited 5th grader.  She'd been hoping they'd come in before break, and here they are!  While the class was out at PE, I catalogued the new additions to our library and put them out for people to glance over.  A bunch of them were sequels or third books in a series, but I think I hooked a few readers with my choices.  One of the books is Shadow Throne by Jennifer A. Nielsen (the third book in the False Prince series).  Mrs. B is borrowing the first one in the series I think, and the 5th grader was pretty bummed he couldn't bring it home today.  I think he's going to look for it at the library.


Tomorrow is our last day of school for the week.  We're doing typical Friday stuff on Tuesday... reading buddies and Mystery Class.  Our all-school activity for the month is tomorrow: recess together on the blacktop.  We're going to play 4-square, hopscotch, basketball, and some other games too.  After that my plan is to close up shop and head to my traveling companion's apartment and we leave for Cancun the next day!  I have mostly everything packed, just a few odds and ends here and there.  I did some digging for churches in Mexico and as expected, there are a ton of Catholic churches, but no Lutheran ones that I could find.  I'm thinking we might just have to ask at the hotel desk once we get there.  I sent an email to the head of the Lutheran church in Mexico (I think that's who he was) to see if he knew of any churches in the area, but I haven't heard back from him.  We'll see I guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment