Thursday, March 12, 2015

One of those days...

This past weekend I watched the movie Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (based on the book with the same title).  I kind of had one of those days today.  But like Alexander says in the book, "My mom says some days are like that."  And all we can do is move forward and hope that tomorrow is better.


I guess looking back on it now, it wasn't quite so bad.  My thoughts were colored because I didn't have much time to recuperate from the field trip yesterday and I'm tired.  That, and I feel like I'm slacking off in teaching certain classes, like English.  I'm one of those people who wants to do everything and do everything well.  And while I'm doing that in a lot of subject areas, there are some areas that end up getting brushed aside, and I definitely know I can do better in them.  And then the Iowa Tests are coming up after Easter.  And a psychologist from Nicollet is coming to observe students with IEPs in my class.  And I have parents dreading science fair projects and asking if we want to do another class fundraiser and kids who don't want to play bells and... the list goes on and on.  So basically, I'm thinking about all the things I could be doing better at and am getting frustrated because I don't have time to do them all well.  So I feel like I'm failing my students (or not letting them reach their full potential) because of it.  But I'm maxed out!  I don't think I have the time to fix it!  I know, take baby steps and do things little by little, and I am working on that.  But I'm also one of those people who likes to have things perfect right away.  So it's tough.  But... enough of the ranting.


All but two science fair boards have been dropped off at school.  Their parents have talked to me and are bringing them tomorrow.  Not a ton of stuff stapled to their boards, so I should be able to fit them all in the back of my car nicely. 


The weather was nice again today.  It was a little cooler than I was expecting (ha, 65 degrees is "cooler").  I'd heard today was supposed to get up to 75, but we didn't get that warm.  It was still warm enough without a coat!  For afternoon recess, the sixth graders and the 5th grade girls played swing-ball-tag.  It's a game we invented last year.  Students swing on the swings, and two people on the ground try to hit them with a foam ball.  Once a swinger has been hit three times, he switches places with the person on the ground who got the third hit.  It's a lot harder than it sounds!


So, one more day this week.  Then the Fine Arts Fair.  Next week the quarter ends, so I'll get Monday off school... and Easter is only two and a half weeks away!

No comments:

Post a Comment