Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Jammin' Out

My students (the girls) have been bugging me to put new music on the iPad so they can listen to it during recess.  FINALLY I went through my music and put some new songs on the iPad.  With the three inches of snow on the ground, we stayed in from recess and they could finally play their music!  Oh they were so excited!  There was such discussion over which song was played first.  Then they told me all the songs I didn't have, but I should get.  Aside from that, they were perfectly content to dance and sing along to the music while the boys played a full court floor hockey game.


The new BINGO prizes I picked up yesterday were also a success.  I got some polka dot sidewalk chalk, shark-shaped squirt guns, play dough, and of course caramel apple suckers (their favorite).  Not as many BINGOs as last quarter.  This sheet was more difficult; I had actual things to look for in a book instead of just genres.  Some challenges: a book published this year, a book with an animal on the cover, a book recommended by me, a book with the name of a place in the title, a book with a number in the title.  The last quarter's BINGO sheet is much the same (different challenges of course). 


It was the first day of the new quarter today.  In my muddle of entering grades, getting report cards ready, and lesson planning yesterday, I forgot that I was going to look at the seating chart I'd made up for 4th quarter and maybe move some people around... oops.  This morning rolled around and I didn't get a chance to make switches.  Guess they'll have to live with the chart the way I made it.  One girl was not happy with the arrangements.  I have the boys split into two pods and an all girls pod.  There's one girl who constantly talks and annoys people ("She's a nuisance!" one of her classmates announced, using one of last week's spelling words).  And the student in question had to sit by the noisy student all third quarter.  But I have no where else to put Miss Disruption!  So I said we would see how this seating arrangement goes and I will move people as the need arises.  Another girl in that pod said, "It really doesn't matter because [the noisy student] spends most of the time in the office."  Sad, but mostly true.


Mrs. E emailed me this weekend to see when I wanted to meet to go over plans for the Talent/Variety Show in May.  I had told her Tuesday or Thursday, completely forgetting I had made a car appointment on Thursday... by the time I remembered, she'd emailed back "Thursday it is!" and she was so excited I didn't want to change it around.  So this morning I was all set to call the car place and see if they could switch my appointment, when I noticed the note in the office said the meeting was on Tuesday.  Huh.  Typo? Or date change?  Date change!  Mrs. E stopped by to see if it was okay to switch it to Tuesday, so problem solved!  The meeting went well.  Both Mr. D and Mrs. B joined us.  Not a whole lot of planning to do.  Each student is required to participate in some way/shape/form, and each teacher is in charge of making sure each student participates.  We teachers were going to do a "Survivor" teacher edition, but decided that was going to be really complicated.  So our skit is going to be similar to the one we did last time (dance to clips of a bunch of popular songs).  We also came up with the idea of doing a "Teacher Trivia Challenge" before the show kind of like they do in movie theaters before the film.  Each teacher is going to think of three little known facts about themselves and make up a question to go on a powerpoint before the Variety Night. 


Well, my lessons are mostly ready for tomorrow.  Two students brought in book orders, so I placed them in the hopes we'll get the books before Easter break... it's going to be close!  I think we're all set for serving our Lenten supper too.  Now hopefully the weather is nice so people actually come!

No comments:

Post a Comment