Wednesday, May 20, 2015

1

As of right now, we only have two and a half hours of school left.  Yeah, I can't believe it either.  Crazy.


Our piñatas went pretty well.  I forgot to tell them the rule of "stay away from the person with the yardstick while they're swinging".  Thankfully, no one got bonked, but I did have to get after them A LOT to step away from the piñata swingers.  I also have to come up with a better way to attach strings onto the piñatas.  Most of them popped off the string after the first hit.  Of course this didn't faze my kids; they just smacked them while they were on the ground.


We finished up our last science lab and our last chapter of MN history.  The history was a lot to cram in for the little bit of time we had between lunch and piñata time, but we did it.  I think if we had had more time, we would've filled it. 


The replenished prize box was a hit.  I think everyone this quarter got at least one BINGO, though three of them were using mostly picture books.  I let anyone who had a BINGO get a piece of candy, but you had to read a book over 120 pages to get a bigger prize.  It seemed to go over well.  One kid who hadn't read a longer book this quarter really wanted the wallet that was on display, so now he has a goal for next year!  He's already talking about reading a long book right away next year.  Hopefully he remembers it that long!


Balloon activity for tomorrow: play whatever games you want (after your desk and the classroom are clean).  They were pretty excited about that prize, though the real prize is their published books... I didn't want to put "get a super secret surprise present" on the paper or they'd guess what it is.  A lot of them predicted that the prize would be "last day of school!" or "no homework!" or "summer vacation!"  Ha! I fooled them!


I just got news that one of my college friends passed her graduate student teaching seminar!  Woohoo! So instead of making my New Ulm library run, I'm making a Mankato library run so we can celebrate.  It's hard to believe that in less than one day, I'll be on summer vacation time.  Then I'll have to turn my brain on to Summer Reading Program planning mode for the library. 


Volleyball update: we lost all three of the games we played, but we were short two players in the beginning games.  My feet did not freeze; the sand was actually not that cold (until the last game when the sun was starting to go down).  Hopefully this is the last of the cold weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment