Thursday, May 7, 2015

10

It's the little things.  After a rather rough end of the day (for one particular student) and a faculty meeting (surprisingly not that long), I looked at all the books piled up on my desk and found a lone yellow post-it note stuck to one of my teacher's manuals:


"You are a AWESOM [skip to the next line 'cause she ran out of room] -E :) teacher -> [the arrow means flip to the back] by [student's name]"  Totally out of the blue.  This student stayed late to have Mr. E help her with math, so she must've written it while she packed up her stuff.  Totally made my day.


Today was the last day we could check stuff out from the Bookmobile.  Sigh.  Sad day.  Of course, my class will be on a field trip next Thursday, so we won't even be around to get anything. But still.  I had a surprise book waiting for me there! And by surprise, I mean I forgot I had ordered the book and it finally came in.  Woohoo!  It's the third in a series one of my students is reading too, so when she saw I got it, she said she wanted to read it after me.  I guess that means I should read it this weekend so she can have a chance before school's out!


Miss H had a short little bookshelf she didn't want in her room anymore this year, so last night she asked if we wanted it.  Though we don't really have a good place to put it, it's just the right size for holding all our paperback picture books.  And now you can actually see them!  I think we'll get a lot more use of them now.  If only I could find a better spot for it...


Our Mother's Day presents are wrapped and ready to go!  Thank the Lord for Mrs. B!  While I read aloud (for an hour and a half), she helped kids hot glue felt squares on the backs, spray paint last minute additions, and showed them how to tie the bows around their wrapped packages.  Some kids chose to make cards for their moms; others just wrote on the tissue paper.  Good thing we had a lot leftover from piñatas!


Mrs. B came back this afternoon for science lab.  My students were whiny and complained that they didn't want to do a lab today, and "do we HAVE to?"  But we did it anyway, and I think they had fun.  It was a lab I did student teaching with 4th graders on electricity.  We tried to make a circuit out of wire, a battery, and a light bulb.  Only one group got it to faintly work by recess time.  Not sure if the wire is too thick/thin (we had two kinds- 18 gauge and 14 gauge) or if the battery is too weak (C batteries) or if the light bulbs are bad.  They were all like, "Oh, we did this in Mr. D's class! We already know how to do it!" But they didn't remember as well as they thought they did.  The only trouble with them not having a working circuit is that on Monday we're supposed to add a switch to the circuit... and if we don't have a working circuit, how is that going to work?  I think I need some new wire.


Anyway.  Tomorrow is Track and Field Day.  We popped the balloon for tomorrow and for Monday just in case we need to bring something for it... T & F day is: eat a picnic lunch.  Monday's is: make a card for next year's class.  They weren't all that excited about it, but hopefully they get into it more when we actually do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment