Wednesday, February 8, 2017

America Day

Two precious kiddos dropped off a plate of treats for me: carrots, rice crispy bar, pretzels, and cheese/sausage...extras from basketball practice. I had been in the 7/8th grade room earlier (where the non-practicing students hang out) and the parent supervisor offered me some snacks. He said, "I'd give you a rice crispy bar too, but I don't know how many girls will be staying." (They have first practice).  Shortly after first practice ended, a kindergartner and a 1st grader cautiously tiptoed into my room with adorable smiles on their faces and a plate in their hands.

Today was red, white, and blue day, and pretty much everyone in the school dressed up.  I got to wear my American flag scarf!  Today was also 'book commercial' day.  When I add new books to our library, I always do 'commercials' so my students know what the story is about (and hopefully peak some interest!).  I had a lot of takers this time!  I had two sets of boys pick books to read-to-someone with. One pair is made of two boys who struggle with comprehension/reading, but usually because they don't concentrate.  Hopefully with both reading together, they'll help each other out.  So far, so good!

I had also picked up more books from the library.  One is a book called The Hello Atlas and contains phrases in over 100 languages, arranged by country/continent on the map.  It's pretty neat! There's an app you can download to hear the phrases spoken.  Many students had a blast trying out the different languages.  We also got the book Robo-Sauce by Adam Rubin.  The book is about a boy who creates a sauce that turns things into robots.  Eventually the book turns into a robot too.  And there are pages that flip around so the whole book becomes metallic and written in robot language.  It's pretty neat.  Although, the first time we read it, it took a while to figure out the logistics of transforming the book to robot mode.

Well, I'd best be off. There's bible study tonight at 6:30 and it's already 6:00!  Better get home and get supper!

No comments:

Post a Comment