Friday, February 3, 2017

Korea

Miss S went home sick this morning. She thought she had strep throat, but Mrs. E said later that she doesn't.  My prediction is that she has that sore throat/cold thing that's been going around.  Yuck.

Our one substitute teacher was subbing in a different school today so there was a hodgepodge of teachers who taught 1st and 2nd grade today.  Mr. E took them right away in the morning while Pastor taught 7/8th grade.  Mrs. E watched them for a little bit, then I watched them for a bit (while my class did reading buddies with them). Then Mr. D watched them at recess.  At 11:00 when recess was over and the preschoolers went home, Miss F taught them for the rest of the day. Whew!  What a schedule!

We also had to rearrange our schedule. The MLC Korean students were supposed to speak to the 7th and 8th graders this afternoon from 12:30-1:30.  However, when I got to school this morning I found three emails from one of the students saying she had misread the time and she couldn't come at 12:30.  She wanted to speak from 11:30-12:30, but that's when we eat lunch and have noon recess.  And then I remembered there was a second Korean student who was planning to speak. But she hadn't emailed me, so was she still coming at 12:30??? We did a lot of back and forth, and the end result was that Mr. E would watch my class in the gym at noon (unless they wanted to hear the speakers) and he would take my class for math at the normal time.  The 7/8th graders would listen to the speakers from 12-12:30 afterwards I would let them have a little recess.  At one o'clock we would correct spelling books/take tests.  Blah, it about fried my brain.  Once we got all that straightened out, I checked my email again and saw a note from the International Coordinator at MLC asking what time the speakers were supposed to come (they'd asked her for help finding a ride) because the time they told her was not the usual time speakers speak for me.

Eventually she got to the bottom of it.  The speakers came, the 7th and 8th graders listened (and finished their lunch), we still had recess, and everyone learned something.  It was kind of good that we did it this way so that the 5/6th graders could listen in if they wanted to.

We ended the day with DEAR time in the gym. The whole school brought beanbags and blankets and books and scattered around the walls and bleachers.  Even the teachers got to read!  I didn't read as much as I would've liked because there were some 6-8th grade boys not doing what they were supposed to and I kept giving them the stink-eye from across the gym.  It kind of worked.  Mr. E said, "Hey at least they were reading at least a little!" They don't read for fun ever in his class.  The kids who do love reading had a great time and would've kept reading for another hour!  I had recommended some books to a few of the 7th and 8th graders before they left my class earlier in the day, and some of them got hooked on new books! Yay!

My weekend plans involve a bunch of traveling again... my farmer is going on a snowmobile trip, leaving tomorrow morning, so I'm going to swing by Truman tonight.  My mom's birthday is tomorrow and we're going on a shopping day in Sioux Falls.  Sunday will probably be a day of lesson plans after church.  I've heard it's Super Bowl Sunday... probably not going to watch it, but who knows!

No comments:

Post a Comment