Friday, February 10, 2017

Braves Day

I wore my normal Friday attire to school today, nothing fancy, just jeans and a Braves shirt. We let out of school at 11:30 to get ready for the tournament. But first, a pep fest!

I was kind of annoyed by the pep fest.  First, no one told me about it until Wednesday after school.  But I found out a parent was planning it, so I felt a little better.  Then I was told each class had to come up with a cheer. Great, one more thing to do before Friday.  We kind of cobbled something together yesterday... a pyramid sort of thing, but couldn't think of a cheer to go with it.  Thankfully, they told us each class didn't have to have a cheer.  So we scratched that plan.  But then at the pep fest, the parent announcer started going class by class, asking them to do their cheer! So I guess we did need one!  My 5th graders wanted to do the pyramid thing, but I told them no since we hadn't practiced enough.  I told the parent we didn't have one, so she skipped right over 5th and 6th grade, no harm done.

There was another surprise too... the teachers had to be in a relay race against some of the basketball teams.  It was a balloon/spoon relay and you weren't supposed to touch the balloon with your hands; it had to rest on the spoon.  I used physics to get to half-court and back: air resistance pushed the balloon back against the spoon so I didn't have to balance it as much.  The teachers won!

In all honesty, the pep fest was good.  Parents had made a huge sign attached to wood poles; the basketball players ran through the paper to the song 'Final Countdown.' Mr. E gave a speech, we did the relay, classes did cheers, we sang the school song... lots of school pride.

And afterwards, we packed up the rooms!  Each classroom is used as a locker room, so we need to get everything portable put away for safekeeping.  My kids did most of the work shoving desks into corners, using tables to block off restricted areas.  I'm taking Joe home for the weekend.  Or maybe I'll just leave his 'traveling tub' under my desk where no one can see it... I haven't decided yet.

My plan had been to wrap things up at school, go home and eat lunch, then come back at 3:00 for the first games.  But it's already past 1:30, so I'm not sure it'd be worth it to go home. Maybe I should just stay here and do my lesson planning for the weekend.  I have snacks in my desk and once the concession stand is up and running, I can eat something more substantial.

No comments:

Post a Comment