Monday, September 18, 2017

Comic Club

It's been raining all day.  Literally pouring rain.  Every hour or so it stops for a bit, but then it picks right back up again.  Since the entryway to my classroom has a metal roof, the sound of rain is pretty noticeable.  If we shut the door, it's hardly audible.  

This is good because we had our first day of FAST testing.  They did the reading test and most did pretty well.  The majority of the 6th graders held steady even over the long summer. Some were surprised by their scores; they thought they'd be lower.  The 5th graders did well too.  Most of my students only dipped a few points, if any.  It'll be neat to see how they do when we retest in January!

I might be getting another BLC student teacher for a reading clinical this November.  I haven't had one for that class yet!  Since it's November, we'll be doing NaNo, and whoever I have can do some great mini-lessons for adding detail to writing.  And the reading lessons can match up!  Yay Daily 5 and Writing Workshop!  

Still waiting to hear official word on a substitute teacher from my college professor.  She is checking with a former student (actually someone I went to BLC with) who might be free.  It would be fun to have her as a sub!  If that falls through, a senior student will probably sub for me.  One way or the other, I think it's covered.  Praise the Lord!  My back-up, back-up plan texted today and said she for sure can't sub for me, so it's a good thing there are other options.

During Workshop today some of the 6th graders invented a comic writing club.  They've been drawing pictures and writing stories to go along, and today they made 'officers' and name tags with their positions listed (post-it notes).  I hope they still get some writing done! I'm thinking about printing off some comic book paper, something that has the comic panel lines already printed.  But they seem content to write in notebooks for now, so perhaps I'll leave them in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment