Friday, September 8, 2017

Jammin' Out

Art today was pretty good, if I say so myself.  I actually taught them some art concepts instead of my usual, "Here's what we're making, here's how to do it."  After giving out instructions, I put on music.  The 6th graders have their favorites from last year: "Dig It Up" from the movie Holes, "Green Onions" by Booker T, spanish music (good for dancing).  Some of the girls requested country songs, which I also had in iTunes, so I could grant their request.  A lot of them asked for songs that aren't school appropriate (because of language or themes/content) or are songs I don't like.  Why should I have to listen to them if I don't like them?  One song, the whole class sang along to (well, everyone except one person who doesn't listen to country), "Wagon Wheel" by Darius Rucker.  After that, we went out for recess.

Some of the girls wanted to play music outside too, and even though they dragged the big boom box outside... they couldn't find a plug.  And the iPad wasn't loud enough, so they gave up.  Two other girls brought Joe outside again.  We figured out the Ga Ga Ball pit was a great corral for him when they wanted to go play for a while without worrying about him wandering off.  That's what happened toward the end of recess... they went to retrieve him and couldn't find him at first!  He had buried himself under some straw/dried grass along the edge of the ring, and it was long enough we almost couldn't see him.  I'm glad he didn't escape!

No comments:

Post a Comment