Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Indian Flute Music

Oops! Forgot to post last night! I ran out of time after school and thought, oh I'll just do it when I get home. But I got home later than expected and it slipped my mind completely.

After school, I had to wrap things up quickly so I could make it to Mankato for our first away volleyball game. It went well; we won all four games and then played a 3rd up to 15 just for fun (and won that too). Prior to the game, I was at the Mankato library for their annual book sale... as many books that fit in a bag for $1. So I got a lot of books!

Before I left school, I cleaned up from our juicy Jello plant cell lab. We learned about the parts of a plant cell earlier this month and yesterday we built a plant cell out of jello and assorted fruits (to represent the organelles). The jello is supposed to be slightly set so the fruit doesn't all float to the top or sink to the bottom. This is always tricky since I don't have any prep time. Thankfully, our cook was willing to help out and she made the jello for me. The only problem was, I had her make it too early, so by the time 1:30 science rolled around, the jello was set. We tried melting it in the microwave for a bit, and it worked a little, but not enough. Thankfully, I'd bought a second package of orange jello and we mixed that up, which melted the first batch. Our fruit did float to the top a bit, but some sank to the bottom, so I guess it kind of evens out.  It'll still taste good today for snack!

Instead of canned pineapple, I bought a real one so we could try growing the top of the pineapple into a new plant. There was only one ripe pineapple at Walmart when I picked it out, and man, it was so tasty! Juicy and flavorful and just right. Thanks God! After the lab we sliced up the rest of the pineapple and passed it around. Oh, it was good.  It made a bit of a mess, but we cleaned it up and still had time for recess.

My kiddos are really getting into their powerpoints! Two groups are finished already and will present next week. One group tried to learn how to do a traditional dance their tribe did by watching a youtube video. Another group found flute music and let it play while they worked on their presentation. "It's so calming!" they all said. After a while some found it distracting (especially when trying to read), so we turned it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment