Monday, September 25, 2017

Tire Trouble

Got a flat tire this weekend. Thankfully I made it to my destination all right and my farmer was there to help me put the spare on. Unfortunately, the wheel weight I ran over wrecked the tire and I'll have to get a new one. I have a warranty on the tires, but to get some money back I'll have to go to the place I bought them from just outside Sioux Falls. Looks like I'm making an extra trip to Fulda this weekend! I had an 'old' tire that still has some tread left from back before I bought my new tires, so my dad brought the tire to my farmer's place and my farmer brought it up to me yesterday. After school today I took it in to the tire place in New Ulm and had them switch it out with the spare. I'm so thankful they were able to squeeze me in! It was really busy, but they got me in and out in about 40 minutes, plus I had a book along, so the time passed quickly.

Another frustrating thing happened after school... Joe has had some spots on his back where his shell is flaking off, so I contacted an exotic animal vet in Mankato (I know, I didn't think they'd have one either). They wanted me to call back, but when I did the doctor was busy. When he tried calling me back, the number was listed as restricted, so I didn't answer. The third time he finally left a message, but I don't have number to return his call. So now I have to wait until Monday because he's going to be out of town the rest of the week.  Argh!

School today was fairly uneventful. More volleyball drama to deal with. A grandparent associated with our school accused the Sioux Falls team of stealing her nice water bottle at the tournament; we got an email from the principal at MLHS (the host of the tournament) saying they found it in the bleachers. Great. Another negative thing to add to Courtland's reputation.

We finished our first read aloud book, Holes. Of course I hadn't planned to finish it today, but you know how the endings of books get! There were too many cliff hangers for me to stop! One time I tried to be tricky and I slowly reached for the bookmark (the signal I'm done reading for the day), hoping to get them to protest at the terrible stopping point. They did! Hollers all around the classroom, "NOOOO! Miss H! You can't stop there!!!!" And I didn't. I kept reading way past time. Then I taught the 5th graders how to use PowerPoint, and that took the rest of the morning. So we didn't read today. We didn't do Daily 5 today. But what we did do was worth the time. They're starting a powerpoint project about Native American tribes in the USA. Today they picked partners and also picked which tribe they'll research. Most have a pretty good start! I'm interested to see how they do with the rest of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment