Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Better-ish

A better day than yesterday, but still not good. When one student acts out, it really drags down the whole class. The most frustrating part of the day for me was at the end of the day, after PE, after Mr. E had called everyone in. They were supposed to be packing up to go home. When I came in the gym from the hallway, I found my normal four boys messing around. Instead of chewing them out, I said something hinting that if they were in the gym and didn't go in right now they'd be getting consequences. They dashed off.

One boy in particular was pouting and being crabby-pantsed. He thought that meant they got sentences. He was so irate I wanted to clear the air with him before he went home. I explained (very calmly) that when I came in the gym and saw them still in there, I thought they were messing around when they were supposed to be packing up and doing their end of the day jobs.

He countered with, "I was picking up PE stuff for Mr. E!"
I said, "Oh, it looked like you were messing around with a ball or something."
"No, we were trying to touch the net!"
"Ohh, well, it didn't look like you were picking stuff up for Mr. E, which is why I thought you were messing around. Were you still picking things up at that time? It looked like everything was put away." (It had been).
(long pause) "I don't remember."
"I see, well, next time, you should explain that you are doing a job for him. Then I will apologize for scolding you for being in the gym."
The kid was still upset and not sure what else to say, but at least he didn't have any more backtalk.

After school I asked Mr. E about that. He said when he left the gym, this student had already put all the stuff away and was heading back to the classroom end of the gym. So. He was not in the gym with a purpose, like I suspected. Grr... I wish I had a better way to get these kids in from recess. They will ignore me and shoot around for a few more minutes after it's time to go in. Nothing except threatening sentences will get them to move!

No comments:

Post a Comment