Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Switching it Up

I made some adjustments to our morning routine. We were going to go over to church to read through the hymnals for religion, but after my students' behavior yesterday I decided we better stay put at school. I swung by church and snagged 13 hymnals for us to flip through at school. My kids were disappointed we couldn't take a mini-field trip to church.

During read aloud time, I had them make Valentine cards for the widows/single ladies of our congregation (one of my bible study lady's ideas). Some kids had a great time making them, others gave me a lot of attitude about even making one.

I switched around Daily 5 and Writers Workshop, hoping it would keep them more focused and calm. I also picked their rounds for them in Daily 5. Normally we do read aloud, then Writers Workshop, then Daily 5. They pick their rounds in the morning before school starts. They weren't too thrilled they couldn't decide their rounds. I think me picking their rounds did help them focus. I'm not sure about flip flopping WrWS and D5. I might try it another day and see what happens.

This afternoon, the mom planning our state capitol trip gave us a sneak peek about what we'll see and do. Then, we went to the MSU play at Nicollet. It wasn't my favorite play. There was some subtle agenda pushing; I'm sure none of the kids noticed, but I picked up on it. The story line was kind of all over the place and the lyrics to the music was kind of meh. One singer blew me away though. He's from Georgia and learned to sing on YouTube! (Found that out in the Q&A). We got back to school at the time the buses normally leave with our kids on them, so we had to scurry to pack up! Of course about three of my kids stopped in the gym to shoot some hoops instead of doing what they were supposed to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment