Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Outside

 We had MN history outside this afternoon. Everyone was too hot and sweaty from playing kickball at PE to be inside. They were huffing and puffing so much they couldn't breathe with their masks on, so someone suggested we have class in the shade outside. The only downside was the bugs! The asian beetles were out in full force today, along with mosquitoes and gnats. 

It's so hard to make fair teams for, well, anything with only six students. There is an uneven number of athletic kids, so no matter the arrangement, it's unfair. I made the mistake of not confirming the rules before we played... This class takes kickball seriously and there were a few rules they play by that were not the same as I played by in grade school. Then one kid stubbed her toe kicking the ball, another one on the same team had an asthma flare up, so that left only one kid to finish the inning (we had three minutes of recess left). It seemed like most of them were frustrated by the end of PE. Sigh. We're doing kickball again on Thursday; I hope it will go better.

Class with the 7-8th graders was also frustrating. The IT guys came last night and fixed the projector, except it only worked for me for 15 minutes before turning from my powerpoint to a black screen. So I tried the tricks that I knew. Nothing worked. Great. Time to call the IT guys. Thankfully they answered and gave me a few more things to try. Fifteen minutes later, we were still facing a black screen. The IT guy was stumped, so I did one of the earlier tricks (windows key + P, then change the projection option) and it worked! It brought the screen back! So I was able to finish class as intended. Tomorrow is the scheduled day for the IT guys to come out to school. I really hope they follow through! I have a long post-it list of things for them to check into...

No comments:

Post a Comment