Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Ship and Sink

I have a friend in the marines stationed in Okinawa, Japan. Last year when he was in training, my class 'adopted' him and sent cards for holidays and such. It was a hit! This year we're doing the same thing except our mail has to travel further.

Yesterday I brainstormed with my kiddos to see what we should put in our care package to him. One girl suggested jam. 
"Like, in a jar?" 
"Yep! Or wait... that might be kind of heavy."

Another boy chimed in, "How about cupcakes?!"
His classmate shot that down right away, "No way, it'd be rotten by the time it got there!"
"Ooo! We could send him the recipe and he could make them himself!" another girl put in.
"What if he doesn't have the ingredients?" 
"I know, we can send him the ingredients! It's just like, flour and sugar and..." 
"Well, they probably have those things there."
"Oh, yeah, you're right.
Meanwhile, I'm trying not to laugh picturing marines in a barracks trying to bake cupcakes. Also, I'm pretty sure they don't have a kitchen. 

We decided we should sleep on it, but for sure we could send him some cards or pictures or bible verses. After school, I messaged my friend to see if he had any requests (and to tell him about their big recipe idea 😆). He said the closest thing to a kitchen he has is a microwave that works only some of the time and his main requests were things that won't spoil and messages/jokes from the kiddos. So, now we're going to send him those things, along with some microwave cooking recipes! 😏

The other big thing from today was that I FINALLY got a sink in my classroom after waiting nine years! Our school purchased small, portable ones for each classroom with money from a covid grant. They arrived today, were put together (thanks Mr. E!), and I got the first one in my room! It has enough water in a container for about 40 hand washes, an automatic sensor to release the water, and is plugged in for hot/cold water. The best part is that the cord is long enough so it can be at the end of the lab table, right where I always pictured a sink! Hooray! 

No comments:

Post a Comment