Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Short and Sweet

 We had another early out today, planned by the public school. It sure is nice to get out a few hours early! I mapped out my lessons for next week and tidied a few things around my desk area. I had hoped to get more done, but I need to run errands and I'm making baked alaska with a student at 4:30, so I need to wrap things up here.

It was another great day. We've only been reading our latest read-aloud book Restart, by Gordon Korman, for two days and we're already 1/3 through it. They are hooked!!! I love it. The basic premise is a big-time bully falls off the roof of his house and ends up with amnesia. Now he's actually nice and doesn't remember all the bad things he did. Is this nice person who he actually is? Or will he go back to bullying? They are making sooo many predictions; it's amazing. They're also putting themselves into the story, trying to decide if they would act/feel the same way if they were the characters telling the story (it's told from a few points of view, sometimes the former bully, sometimes the kids bullied by him, sometimes his friends).

I let my class talk me into reading 'extra' today; really, we accomplished everything I wanted to in the morning. I'm just so sneaky they think they're getting away with not doing their work! Man, they must think I'm a complete pushover! They tried to convince me to read the whole morning but I put my foot down so we could do our Daily 5 rounds.

They made a goal to beat the record of fastest finishing of a read-aloud book. So far, my record is reading Prisoner B-3087 in two weeks with a class about six years ago. I think their goal is to finish this book next week sometime. We have the date we started the book on the board so we know for sure how many days it takes us. 

These kids! I wish I could read aloud to them all day every day. It's so fun when their eyes light up and they start spinning what they think will happen in the pages ahead... I'm already trying to think ahead to the next book I can read with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment