Friday, November 13, 2020

Readers

 My kids... man, they are adorable. Yesterday they'd asked if we could read all morning. I said something moderately noncommittal, thinking to myself that we probably could. Today I just kept reading. We only had 60 pages of our book left when we started so I was pretty sure we could finish it without taking up the whole morning. 

One girl noticed what time it was and wrote in the chat, "um, when are we going to be done. It's past time." And another girl wrote back, "Shhh!!!" Then I told them we'd read for 10 more minutes and start our writing time at 10:00. Well, 10:00 arrived and we only had two chapters of our book left... Because I like to make them squirm, I dramatically paused and put the bookmark in the book. Then we made a deal that they would all write their NaNos over the weekend. Ha! Aren't I sneaky? ;)

As you might have guessed, they unanimously voted to finish the book. It was an extremely satisfying ending. Then they wanted to pick our next book to read. So we voted. They unanimously chose a historical fiction book. We had two to pick from and the one that won is Fever, 1793. They convinced me to read the first chapter to them. 

On Fridays we've been doing a 'random topic day' for science/social studies. Today we learned about the Black Plague again. They decided we should do yellow fever as our next topic because that's the focus of our next read aloud book (it takes place during a yellow fever outbreak in Philadelphia in 1793). Nice. It's all coming together!

No comments:

Post a Comment