Thursday, January 21, 2021

Dancing

We were supposed to have our last day of dancing PE today, but they made me a deal. We should play hockey today, then do dance next week: 10 minutes of dance Tuesday and 10 minutes on Thursday, then 10 minutes of other stuff both days. Their reasoning was that if we split the time today, there would be such a long break between dance days they wouldn't remember it as much. So that's what we did. As far as PE goes, if they're being active and burning off energy, I'm happy. After all, isn't that the point of PE? That and exposing them to active things they might otherwise not try? 

When Mr. E and I switched back after math/geography, he commented on dance for PE. He said my class was all up in arms about having to do dance and how they'd rather have Mr. E as their PE teacher. Hey, no offense taken; PE is not my forte! 

A few days ago my kids had asked me if I always teach my students dance and I had said, "No, I've never had to teach PE before, so you guys are the first." They didn't think it was fair.
So I told that story to Mr. E, and the girls wanted to know what dances we're learning (just to see if they're boring and worth my class being upset over). All the girls in his class said, "Ooo, those sound like fun! How come we can't do dance? Yeah, we should do dance." 
The three boys looked skeptical. So I said, "It's a good skill to have! Someday, you'll be at a dance and you'll want to impress some girls..."
Mr. E added, "And then boys, you will think back and thank Miss H, when you're trying to pick up chicks."
That perked up one of the 7th grade boys. The other two still had no comment. 

The conversation ended with the idea that one day Mr. E could teach my kids PE in the gym (probably basketball) while I teach the 7-8th graders dance in their classroom. Win, win! Well, maybe not for those 7th grade boys... 😏

No comments:

Post a Comment