Friday, January 15, 2021

Snow Day! ...I mean, Virtual Learning Day!

School got cancelled today due to potential blizzard-like conditions. So far it doesn't look too bad outside, but the blizzard warning goes until 6pm tonight. We were only supposed to have a half day of school anyway, but with us being so tech-savvy now and being able to learn from home, we wouldn't have to take a snow day ever again. That made everyone (including us teachers) sad. So all of us teachers convinced Mr. E we could make arrangements with our class to do what we needed to get done today.

My class's instructions were to take their spelling test (via a voice recording of me saying the words, which we do every week anyway), read for 20min, and meet with me to say memory. 

Some kids got on right away at 7:30am and asked to say memory at 8am. Others picked a later time, like 10:50 or 11:15. One kid didn't schedule a time, and I just about messaged him about it, but thought I should let him be responsible. He finally asked if we could meet, but when he said his memory work, I could see his eyes going back and forth like he was reading it. 😦 

I didn't want to jump to conclusions or accuse him of cheating flat out, so after he finished reciting, I asked if he would say the first part again, but do it with his eyes closed. He said he would try, and covered his eyes with his hands. He took a deep breath like he was going to speak... and then it whooshed out with a sigh. 

"You caught me Miss H. I spent all morning on my spelling; I wanted to do really good this week. So I didn't do my memory work at all."

Sigh. 

I thanked him for being honest and asked what our next step was. The poor kid was almost in tears; he asked if he could say his memory work on Monday before school started. Works for me. I saw he just messaged and asked how long I'm staying at school today... I wonder if he'll try to say it today still.

No comments:

Post a Comment