Monday, January 4, 2021

First Day

It was our first day of in-person school after a month and a half of virtual learning. It was good to be back! Some things felt like we never left, others took a bit of remembering. But overall it was a good day.

Last night after I got back to Courtland, I swung by school to drop off Joe so I wouldn't have to lug him into my apartment then back out to the car in the cold morning. I also dropped off all my teaching books and put them back in my podium. I left my printing and things for my to-do list this morning. 

I ran into Mr. E while I was at school and we chatted about the two students who moved away over break. They returned all their things over break, one of which was a brand new chapter book I had lent one of them earlier this year. It was so new I hadn't even read it yet. Now, the book is warped and wavy from water damage. It's so bad the book won't even close all the way. Oh man! I emailed their mom to see if they would pay for a replacement copy. 

One of my students is still learning from home. She seemed sad and quiet today when I met with her on Teams. I'm guessing she misses being back with everyone. 

Being one student down, there's an odd number of classmates so they want me to play with them at recess. That's good because I could use the exercise! We went in the gym for noon recess and we all played hockey. Afternoon recess was outside because it was so nice out. Most of the class was not terribly enthused about that. It was too cold and windy. Really, it got up to 37 today. There's a huge snow outside, so we enjoyed climbing it and sort of sledding down. Only one out of five brought snow gear, but the rest tried to enjoy it even without boots.

My class decided to open Christmas presents on Friday. I gave them the choice of Tuesday or Friday and they unanimously picked Friday. Then they wanted to know when we'd be opening presents. They wanted to change their minds about that when I said we would skip English and do it during that time on Friday. Normally they'd be happy to skip English, but on Friday we play an English game as a class. Their exact words: "No! Miss H! We don't want to skip our English game!" We compromised and agreed that we could open presents in the morning and then play an English game in the afternoon when we'd normally be doing art or spanish.

We're also going to try the rest of the Japanese candy my marine friend mailed us last month. I need to put some of it in a bag for my virtual student. Her gift exchange partner didn't bring her present in yet, so when that arrives at school I'll have to drop it off at her house. She doesn't live too far from me, so it won't be a big deal to swing by after school one day. 

My class tried to make a deal with me to read our read-aloud book longer today. I countered with, "What do you have to offer?" Uhhh... they couldn't think of anything. They'd brought their books back to school, but not a lot of their assignments/papers. Hopefully they'll bring those things tomorrow. Then they'd have more to barter with! We started a project where they have to draw a map of a fictional town and create a brochure to entice settlers to come to their land. If they had their papers at school, they could've said they'd work on them while I read. Oh well, too bad! 

We're starting a new unit in English involving informative writing. Today our focus lesson was on the three purposes of writing: Persuasive, Informative, Entertainment. To me, it seems like we've done way more entertainment/narrative writing this year, but when I asked them for examples of what we've done, we came up with all sorts of assignments/writing they've done that fits in each category. Ha! Nice job, Miss H. 

Well, I think I have everything ready for school tomorrow. Now I'm off for home to hopefully get to bed early for a good night's sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment