Tuesday, January 12, 2021

No Talking

Yesterday, we started a new read-aloud book, No Talking by Andrew Clements. I've read it to past classes, and every year I have, my students have begged to try the no talking challenge that takes place in the book. This year's class was no different. 

So we tried it today. Rules: no talking unless a teacher calls on you, then you can only say three word answers. Any words you say over three count against your team. Boys vs. Girls. Who can say the fewest words? 

This year's answer: boys 17, girls 21. I only have six students, three boys and three girls, but the girls kept forgetting about the contest!!! They'd blurt out a whole sentence before one of the others would hiss and the boys would silently fist-pump the air. They voted to keep going over lunch, to stop at recess, and they could also talk regular at math. After math we kind of forgot about it. 

One thing that impressed me about the girls in this group is they made 'talking boards' out of post-it notes and stuck them to their desk. It said things like: yes, no, how, where, when, what?, and "noah stop that". I wonder if they got that idea from our first read-aloud book. The main character can't speak and has a board of words and pictures she points to to communicate. Either way, I was impressed they thought of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment