Wednesday, May 5, 2021

13

Oh my goodness, today was a hair-pulling day... My kids were so obstinate, it's ridiculous. Mostly whining and complaining about everything they had to do. Their balloon prize for the day was drinking juice or Gatorade during the day and only a few remembered to bring some. 

It was Miss K's last day, and some of the kids brought presents in for her: candy, some lotion, a fancy water bottle... I wrote a card and had them sign. One 6th grader made a chocolate caramel cake. We sent a piece home with her and will eat our pieces at snack tomorrow. A 5th grader had volunteered tulips from their garden, but he forgot them on the table at home. Bummer. 

Her last lesson went super well. It was on electrical charges. Her dad is an electrician, so she knows a ton about it already. I learned many facts I didn't know! The most interesting one was that every time you turn on a light, the electrical current creates a 'scar' on the filament from the heat of the electrons moving. So the longer you leave a light on, the bigger the scar, and the quicker the bulb will burn out. LED lights don't have filaments, so they don't burn out. Or, at least, they produce way less heat.

Mr. E had a meeting with someone to talk about using part of the woods as a play area for the kids (I think the answer is 'no' because of liability), so I played softball with the 5-8th graders. I got to pitch and did a decent job. I didn't bring a glove and ended up using Mr. E's glove which was waaay too big for me. That's fine; I could blame all my mistakes on having too big a glove. ;) It was actually really fun and ended up being my high of the day. 

We filmed 7-8th tone chimes. That went okay. Miss K had a tripod we used for filming which was super helpful. I didn't have to hold the camera! We filmed two songs; the first turned out very nice, the second was a little rusty. I need to watch them again to see if they're usable for the talent show/church. 

The 5-6th graders finally filmed our caterpillar skit. The first time went all right, just a few errors, so I made them do it again. Except they kept messing up, and then the ipad had low battery. Okay. Let's do it after math. They were really dragging their feet and even though we filmed it a few more times, I think the first time is going to be the winner. Again, I'll have to watch them to decide which we should use. Sigh. Glad that's over! Hopefully they'll all be in a better mood tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment