Monday, May 17, 2021

5

Balloon prize: sit anywhere today.

Boy, my kids were dinks today. They pushed the boundaries on everything. It started with where they could sit... "on top of our desks, right Miss H? You said anywhere!" Then they're cramming on the couch, lying on the lab table... sigh. By the afternoon they'd forgotten about finding funky seats. 

But the rest of the morning they whined about everything! No one wanted to do even the simplest thing. One boy was so obstinate I was this close to sending him to the principal. He blatantly refused to do what I asked, saying "I'll just do it during math study hall time." Grr... 

The afternoon was much better. The 7-8th graders took a test on the Body Systems and a map test on well-known countries in the world. I was surprised how much they struggled with that. We've learned all the countries, but somehow seeing how they fit into the whole world map was extremely challenging. Some of the smartest kids couldn't figure out Mexico, the US, and Canada. Oh man. I might need to revamp some of my lessons from this year... or get a better map for the quiz. 

We had another video call with my marine friend during lunch. He got back from a three week mission in the Mojave Desert called War Games, and my kids wanted to hear more about it. They only had to survive a week without getting captured by 'enemy groups' and his group succeeded. They were a high value target, so they had to move around a lot so they wouldn't be found. 

Tomorrow is Caswell Softball Day! My kids wanted me to bring our read-aloud book along so we can read between games. Hmm... I'm skeptical if that's actually going to happen, but I'll bring it anyway. Can't hurt, can it?

No comments:

Post a Comment