Wednesday, May 19, 2021

3

Another rainy day. My kids didn't want to eat lunch outside (our balloon prize for today), so we tabled that. We were all gassed from yesterday. Everyone was SO TIRED, teachers included. All of us wanted to call it in and take it easy for the day. 

My kids asked me to make a to-do list of everything we have to accomplish before school is over with the intention of getting everything done today so we could do nothing Thursday and Friday. Hmm... well, worth a try I guess. Yeah, there were too many things to do in one day. I wrote an estimate of how long it would take to do each task and one of the 6th graders added them up: 10.5 hours (approximately). I didn't put math, lunch, or recess on the list since those are givens each day. 

Only half the class wanted to power through and try to get ahead on things. The rest of them wanted to do a normal day or an 'easy' day. So we did a mix. A few things got erased, a few got added. A lot of them want to do their work at home. We'll see if they actually do. I know one kid brought his spelling home... his cut out words floated behind him down the sidewalk on his way to the bus and he had to go back to gather them up. 

The 7-8th graders were in scramble mode. Their last trip itinerary of the year was supposed to be presented today. Half the class came down to my room at lunchtime and announced that no one had finished, thus no one was ready to present. "I never knew when it was due! You never told us!" They've known about this project for about a month; it's been on their assignment sheet for just as long. "I never got an itinerary sheet to fill out." Yes, you did. I put one in everyone's crate along with the map to study... a month ago. Sigh. There aren't that many of them, so after careful calculation, we figured out we would have time to do all of the presenting tomorrow and made today a workday. At least they were productive and didn't whine about doing work.

It's interesting the kids are ready to be done, but they're not at the same time. One 6th grader said his high of the day was "only two days of school" and his low was "only two days of school." I agree buddy. I agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment