Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Books

I had the loveliest time with the 7-8th graders today. First, we learned about the skeletal system. Then, during study hall, we reminisced about books we loved back in 5-6th grade. Some of the 8th graders grabbed books for the 7th graders to read. I grabbed some books for kids in both classes to read (new ones in series they'd devoured in my class). 

Why all the books? It's the first day of February... aka I Love to Read Month. We read in the gym for 15 minutes this morning, and my class would've read even longer. The 7-8th graders stayed in there an extra 10 minutes! A parent had the idea to do a read-a-thon to raise money for our school. I'm not sure how the fundraising is going, but the kids are fired up to read for sure. 

Each of them set an individual goal, a minimum of 20min a day for each day of February. Most challenged themselves to go higher than that, although not by much, maybe an extra hour or two above that. Our class goal (including 360min of class read aloud) is 7020 minutes. I haven't set a minute goal for myself, just to read more than I recently have been... not too many papers to correct tonight, so I'm hopeful I can get an hour or so in!

No comments:

Post a Comment