Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Daisy Award

No school on Monday. G and I had planned to hang out at the farm all day helping Dad clean up Shady Acres, but that was not to be. 

I got word last Thursday that a nurse I had nominated for an award had been selected for the award! Months ago, on one of my follow-up visits to the hospital after Bekhor was born, I saw a poster for the Daisy Award, given to nurses/staff who go above and beyond the call of duty as a nurse. The main nurse who had helped me when Bekhor fit that description and I wanted to recognize her for it. So I had filled out the application and kind of forgot about it. 

A nominating committee member had left me a voicemail letting me know Becca had been selected. Tears instantly began pouring. G thought something was seriously wrong when he saw me. 
"No, it's nothing bad!" 
"Then why are you crying?"
"I think these are happy tears?" Definitely a blend of emotions. 

We found out the award is given quarterly to three individuals (one nurse, one supervisor, one educator) across about 3,000 hospitals in the region. Typically there are around 50 nominees. The ones selected are usually ones where the nominator was able to be specific about things the nurse did that went above and beyond. G and I got thanked over and over again for submitting our nomination and being willing to share our story. They wanted me to read the story I had submitted (the one that won her the award). I was sure I would be crying too much to do it, but I was willing to try. 

The awards are a surprise, so we had to keep it a secret until Monday morning. We met at the hospital a little before 9am and then went up to floor 5 to surprise her. Five Mayo Clinic leadership team members who comprise the Daisy award selection committee came with us. We waited down the hall, trying to be unobtrusive and unnoticeable while they gathered as many nurses on the floor as they could. I saw our nurse and immediately turned my head the other way, not sure if she would recognize me or not. I heard her talking to the other nurses, "Uh-oh, someone is in trouble!" (she was joking) "...who do you think it is?" (I think by that point they had all realized someone on their floor was receiving the award).

The leaders came forward to announce that someone was being awarded the Daisy award and it was... Becca! She was so shocked. No idea it would be she who won. I stepped forward as the one who had nominated her and she immediately grabbed me for a hug. "I never thought I'd see you again!" she said through tears. "How are you guys doing? I think about you and Bekhor every day. I pray for you [and Galen] every day." More thank-yous for the nomination. And an, "I wish I could've done more." Again, this lady is so very worthy of the nomination and selection.

Then it was time to read my story. Here's what I had submitted: Becca went above and beyond the call of duty as a nurse when I gave birth to my 16-week-old son in her delivery room. I had come into the ER after my water broke unexpectedly, and my husband and I got sent up to the Labor Delivery floor knowing that our baby would not live long after birth or might be born dead. We had planned to use a midwife for the birth, so this was the first time we had met any of the people on staff here. Becca was so kind. She knew we were in a difficult situation and made sure my husband and I were both as comfortable as possible. She explained things clearly and with detail, so I always knew what was going on and why we were doing them. When my hair came out of its bun, she braided it for me. She made sure not only I had snacks, but my husband and pastor as well. When we prayed, she stopped what she was doing (either to show respect for our beliefs or to pray with us, she didn't say, but we appreciated it). When my son was born, she had the other nurses wait a few extra minutes before clamping the cord, which allowed him to live a full eight minutes... long enough to be baptized and for his grandparents to meet him before he died. All this is on top of her competent nursing care expected and given at Mayo. Thank you, Becca, for everything!

I made it through with fewer tears than I thought! 

In addition to a copy of my story, she received a hand-carved sculpture from Africa, reimbursement for continuing education classes, a bouquet of daisies, sweet rolls for the whole floor, and more things I'm forgetting. It's a pretty awesome award.

We took pictures after that and she whispered to me, "I should've washed my hair today." Proof she had no idea it was coming. I love it. 

There is a video of the surprise and presentation. If you are interested in seeing it, let me know and I'll send it to you. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment