Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Draggin'

Holy buckets, I was dragging today. First, I stayed up too late last night with G cooking/baking. The church council is doing the Lenten meal tomorrow night; they're having a chili cookoff. G made two recipes: his mom's usual Christmas Eve chili recipe and his brother's artificial intelligence generated vegan chili recipe (G's brother is not a cook, so he used the Google chatbot to make him a recipe. It actually turned out pretty good.). Pastor's wife is making a white chicken chili, and the other council member is making a traditional tomato-based chili. G had me bake desserts: chocolate chip cookies (a double batch) and two batches of lemon bars. I'm still getting used to this oven, so the bakes didn't turn out as consistently as I would've liked. They'll still taste good though. G has a plan to sort the cookies based on doneness so it's easier for people to pick out the kind they like. His dedication to excellence knows no bounds! 😁

All that being said, we went to bed much later than we wanted to. 

The kids were dragging too, although their mouths weren't. Very chatty all day. 

In PE we started a lawn games unit. Today's activity was bean bags, aka cornhole. The school had two sets and a few parents brought in theirs from home so we had enough to go around. I was satisfied with the lesson. We'll do bean bags for at least one other day, then ladder ball, then spike ball. Maybe bocce ball once the weather gets nicer and we can be outside. 

Another win today was silent reading time. A handful of kids had struggled to find a book to read last week, sitting at their desks hoping I wouldn't notice them not reading... Well, I emailed each of their parents a list of books I thought they might enjoy (encouraging them to visit the public library) and today I brought a few books from my home library hoping they would get hooked. Most of the non-readers either brought books from home or picked one from my stack! The only downside is that I need a new stack of books to bring tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment