Friday, February 23, 2024

Tough Start

Rough start to my morning... 

I brought home a bunch of papers to correct last night and only had a few of them finished. So I corrected the rest over breakfast this morning. Then I fell into the, "Just one more thing!" habit and left a few minutes later than I wanted to. Of course that was the day the key wasn't in the car in the garage. 

Back into the house I went. Maybe it was in G's backpack. It took a couple tries, but I located it and sped back to the garage. 

My drive to school is seven minutes on average. It can be down to five if I hit the lights right. Of course today I hit the lights wrong and it was closer to seven minutes. I got to school right at 7:30 (when teacher devotions begin). And that's when I realized I wore a different jacket to school than normal. So my fob to the school doors were at home. 

The school doesn't unlock until 7:45am on the dot. I went to the office door, thinking the secretary could buzz me in. She wasn't at her desk. No one else was in sight. I texted Mrs. L and asked her to let me in. Before she could respond, one of the pastors saw me and let me in. Whew! 

I sped to my classroom thinking if I walked quickly, I could make it in time for at least part of the devotions... My classroom door was locked. I still don't have a key for it, so I'm at the mercy of others. Giving up, I dumped my stuff at the door, whipped off my coat, and went down to devotions. 

After that my day was much calmer. A different aid let me into my room, and I had a few moments to gather myself before the kids came in. I had brought a new bunch of graphic novels and book requests from my home library to school. We created a mini Mrs. H lending library in the corner of the classroom (a crate on its side on top of the paper holder). The kids LOVE going over to look through the books. Unfortunately, they now think I have any book they might possibly want to read. I told them I brought so many to tide them over until I get back in two weeks. 

They were glad I was coming back. The other class of 5th graders had some fun parting words for me: "Bring me back a souvenir!" one girl commented. Another said, "Don't touch any cacti!" 

My day ended by finishing our class read-aloud book and starting the next one. It's another short book I hope to finish in the month before Mrs. M comes back (she is hopeful about coming back after Easter/Spring Break the beginning of April). 

After the kids left, Mrs. L and I went over classroom stuff to prepare her for taking over for two weeks. Boy, that's a lot for a brain to handle. Making sure my stuff is wrapped up, leaving stuff for her to pick up where I left off, trying to think of everything that might go wrong or that she would need to know NOW just in case I'm not available to answer her questions in the moment... I'm sure it will be fine. My "be prepared" nature is just coming to light.

It was a quick turnaround after school. We worked until shortly before 4pm, I dashed off to a quick chiropractor appointment, hustled back to school for more instructions, then headed home around 5pm so G and I could go to a friend's "new job launch party" in New Ulm. After an hour we drove back to Mankato to catch the second half of an MSU hockey game (a different friend gave G free tickets). Whew! Fun night, just a lot to orchestrate. 

Now to rest up/finish up loose ends before we head to AZ on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment